Tuesday 30 April 2013

Documentary photography

The Manchester Marathon.

The Manchester Marathon was an ideal opportunity to submit as a documentary task, after all I wasn't doing anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon. Fortunately the marathon route passed through my hometown of Flixton. It also gave me an opportunity to capture a couple of images of a friend of mine Richard De Pol who was running for Macmillan cancer support raising over £700 in sponsorships.
Armed with my trusty Canon 500d with a Tamron 28-74mm zoom I headed off with family in tow the 200 yard walk to the rendevous point where Richard would receive vital lubrication from his wife.


It was by no means the brightest of days but ample light for shooting at reasonably fast shutter speeds. Making use of my 74 mm zoom and wide aperture.



I set my focusing mode to AI SERVO to keep the focus locked on the runners which were coming towards me.

I thought it was important to show spectators as well which is an important part of a sports event, in this case 
its my wife, Mrs De-pol, her children and my three, a crowd in its self.




I tried a few shots from a different view point and depth of field, I`m not sure some of these images are ok as I've chopped peoples feet off, but I suppose its inevitable.


I tried to get as close as I could to the action without getting mowed down.


Richard makes it to the 18 mile point and receives his vital lubrication!




 Patiently waiting in traffic and wondering what all the fuss is about.

I spent about 40 minutes on this shoot and did no post processing, i think documentary image should come straight from camera to show things in their truest light. I enjoyed the shoot as i felt under no pressure to get the shot quickly as there was ample opportunity to get the right shot.

© Sean Wareing 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment